Twitter Ban

Twitter says Trump ban is permanent – even if he runs for office again

Chief financial officer says ‘when you’re removed, you’re removed … our policies don’t allow people to come back’

Chief financial officer Ned Segal says ‘when you’re removed, you’re removed'

.media
MEDIA PRESS GROUP

Donald Trump’s ban from the social media platform Twitter is going to stick even if he runs for the White House again – and even if he won again, a senior executive said on Wednesday. The former president’s permanent block from Twitter is permanent, Twitter’s chief financial officer, Ned Segal, said during an interview on CNBC when he was asked whether Trump’s tweeting privileges could be restored if he ever returns to power.

“The way our policies work, when you’re removed from the platform, you’re removed from the platform,” Segal said.

He added: “Whether you’re a commentator, you’re a CFO, or you are a former or current public official. Remember, our policies are designed to make sure that people are not inciting violence, and if anybody does that, we have to remove them from the service and our policies don’t allow people to come back.”

The news came as Trump’s impeachment trial is taking place in the Senate, on a charge that he incited an insurrection with his inflammatory exhortations at a rally in Washington immediately before the breach of the US Capitol by a murderous mob on 6 January.

When he was impeached last year, he tweeted criticism throughout, although then, and now, he declined to appear at the trial in his own defense.

This time around, with Trump’s Twitter account having fallen silent, the impeachment trial is proceeding without such online heckling.

Only if Trump is convicted at his impeachment can he be barred from holding federal office again, in a subsequent vote. He is free to run for the presidency again if he is, as is likely, acquitted.

Twitter made the unprecedented move to ban Trump from the platform after the Capitol insurrection, with the company saying it was permanently suspending Trump “due to the risk of further incitement of violence”.

Shortly before that, Twitter had already temporarily locked Trump’s account over several tweets that it said contributed to an elevated risk of violence.

Read more

Donald Trump orders GOP's three biggest fundraisers to stop using his name

Donald Trump has sent legal warnings to the three biggest fundraising entities for the Republican Party, ordering them to stop using his name and likeness on emails and merchandise, according to a new report. Trump's lawyers sent the cease-and-desist letters on Friday to the Republican National Committee, National Republican Congressional Committee, and National Republican Senate Committee, a Trump advisor told Politico. 'President Trump remains committed to the Republican Party and electing America First conservatives, but that doesn't give anyone - friend or foe - permission to use his likeness without explicit approval,' the advisor said.

The villain, and America is the victim

As time goes on, Donald Trump’s future is coming to resemble the life cycle of the apocryphal Hollywood starlet. It starts with a producer calling out “Get me Donald Trump,” proceeds to “get me a Donald Trump,” and ends with “Who’s Donald Trump?”

Donald Trump faces new lawsuit alleging incitement of Capitol riot

Rep. Eric Swalwell (D. Calif.) on Friday sued former President Donald Trump, Donald Trump Jr., Rudy Giuliani and Rep. Mo Brooks (R., Ala.) on allegations they conspired to incite the Capitol riot on Jan. 6 and prevent Congress from certifying the results of the 2020 presidential election.

State Department aide appointed by Donald Trump stormed the Capitol

The FBI said Thursday that it arrested a political appointee of President Donald Trump on charges that he stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 and assaulted an officer with a weapon, marking the first arrest of a Trump administration official in connection with the insurrection.