Copyright Complaint

Eddy Grant sues Trump campaign over use of song

Grant argued in the complaint that the president and his campaign "have continued to willfully and wrongfully infringe Plaintiffs' copyrights"

.mpg
MUSIC PRESS GROUP

Musician Eddy Grant sued President Trump's re-election campaign on Tuesday, alleging that it was infringing on his copyrights to the hit song "Electric Avenue."

Grant filed the complaint in federal court in New York in response to a video Trump promoted on his Twitter account on Aug. 12 that attacked Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden.

Grant argued in the complaint that the president and his campaign "have continued to willfully and wrongfully infringe Plaintiffs' copyrights."

"As of the date of this filing, the infringing video is still available on Twitter," Grant stated in the complaint, which argued the campaign's use of his music was unlawful.

The Aug. 12 video, which has been viewed nearly 14 million times on Twitter, includes "Electronic Avenue" in the background as the campaign attempts to portray a contrasting image between the president and Biden. The animated video shows a train with the Trump campaign's logo followed by a railroad handcar the former vice president is manually operating.

Wallace E.J. Collins, Grant's legal counsel, issued a cease and desist letter to the Trump campaign just a day after the video was posted on Twitter, according to a statement on the singer's website. In the letter, Collins said Grant was the exclusive copyright owner of "Electric Avenue" and that the song being used by the campaign would result continued harm of the musician's reputation.

“If you know my client’s reputation, then you know that this Infringing Use in connection with the name Trump in a political context is a serious transgression,” Collins said, requesting the campaign immediately stop using the song.

Grant added: “I call upon such arbiter, as is responsible for this sordid abuse, to come forward like a man and let’s sort this thing out, in the way that America demands when such issues are to be sorted, especially when they are wrong."

Grant alleged on Tuesday that the campaign will continue to use his music unless blocked by the court.

Grant's complaint adds to a chorus of musicians who have spoken out over the Trump campaign's use of their songs in recent years. Artists including Adele, Elton John and Rihanna have either disavowed or threatened legal action over the Trump campaign's use of their music.

Neil Young in early August filed a copyright infringement lawsuit alleging the campaign was playing his music without proper licensing.

Read more

Rudy Giuliani plays at his balls in the new Borat movie

The reputation of Rudy Giuliani could be set for a further blow with the release of highly embarrassing footage in Sacha Baron Cohen’s follow-up to Borat.

Donald Trump paid nearly $200,000 in taxes to China, report claims

Donald Trump maintains a bank account in China where he pursued licensing deals for years, according to a report that could undermine the president’s election campaign claim that he is tough on Beijing. Tax records reviewed by the New York Times showed a previously unreported bank account in China controlled by Trump International Hotels Management. The account paid $188,561 in taxes in China between 2013 and 2015 in connection to potential licensing deals, according the newspaper. Earlier reporting by the Times showed he paid just $750 in US taxes in 2016 and 2017.

Suspected fraud against Trump and his alleged election contribution

As the 2020 presidential campaign hurtles toward a close, questions remain about a last-minute, $10 million lifeline Trump threw to his previous campaign, the one that catapulted him into the presidency. Speculation has swirled around the source of that money, with one report suggesting Trump might have gotten the funds from a casino magnate looking for help building a bullet train from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. Another report pointed to the possibility of a shadowy foreign donation funneled through an Egyptian bank.

Donald Trump abruptly ends '60 Minutes' interview

President Donald Trump abruptly ended a solo interview with CBS News' "60 Minutes" Tuesday and did not return for an appearance he was supposed to tape with Vice President Mike Pence, according to multiple sources familiar with what happened. After camera crews set up at the White House on Monday, Trump sat down with host Lesley Stahl for about 45 minutes on Tuesday before he abruptly ended the interview and told the network he believed they had enough material to use, according to two sources.